Comprehensive, cutting-edge content prepares you for today’s orthodontics! Orthodontics: Current Principles and Techniques, 6th Edition provides evidence-based coverage of orthodontic diagnosis, planning strategies, and treatment protocols, including esthetics, genetics, temporary anchorage devices, aligners, technology-assisted biomechanics, and much more. New to this edition is an Expert Consult website using videos and additional visuals to show concepts difficult to explain with words alone. Expert Consult also adds three online-only chapters, research updates, and a fully searchable version of the text. From respected editors Lee Graber, Robert Vanarsdall, Katherine Vig, and Greg Huang, along with a veritable Who’s Who of expert contributors, this classic reference has a concise, no-nonsense approach to treatment that makes it the go-to book for orthodontic residents and practitioners!
Comprehensive coverage provides a one-stop resource for the field of orthodontics, including foundational theory and the latest on the materials and techniques used in today’s practice.
Experienced, renowned editors lead a team of expert, international contributors, bringing the most authoritative clinical practice and supporting science from the best and brightest in the industry.
More than 3,400 images include a mixture of radiographs, full-color clinical photos, and anatomic or schematic line drawings, showing examples of treatment, techniques, and outcomes.
Extensive references make it easy to look up the latest in orthodontic research and evidence-based information, and all references also appear online.
Detailed, illustrated case studies show the decision-making process, showing the consequences of various treatment techniques over time.
NEW! Seven all-new chapters include Orthodontic Diagnosis and Treatment Planning with Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Imaging; Upper Airway, Cranial Morphology, and Sleep Apnea; Management of Impactions; Iatrogenic Effects of Orthodontic Appliances; Minimally and Non-Invasive Approaches to Accelerate Tooth Movement; Management of Dental Luxation and Avulsion Injuries in the Permanent Dentition; and Patient Management and Motivation for the Child and Adolescent Patient.
NEW! Expert Consult website includes online-only chapters, instructional videos, many references linked to PubMed, and research updates including additional case studies.
UPDATED CHAPTERS includeBiomechanical Considerations with Temporary Anchorage Devices, Bonding in Orthodontics, Clear Aligner Treatment, Lingual Appliance Treatment, Psychological Aspects of Diagnosis and Treatment, Clinically Relevant Aspects of Dental Materials Science in Orthodontics, The Biologic Basis of Orthodontics, and more.
Newco-editor Greg J. Huang is joined by new contributors who are highly regarded experts within their respective subspecialties in orthodontics.
· Part One. Foundations of Orthodontics
· 1. Craniofacial Growth and Development: Developing a Perspective
· Somatic Growth
· Craniofacial Complex
· Molecular Basis of Craniofacial Development and Growth
· Cranial Vault
· Cranial Base
· Midface/Nasomaxillary Complex
· Arch Development, Tooth Migration, and Eruption
· Adult Changes in Craniofacial Form
· Postnatal Interrelationships during Craniofacial Growth
· Significance of Understanding Craniofacial Growth for Orthodontics
· 2. Genetics and Orthodontics
· Background and Basic Definitions
· Types of Genetic Effects and Modes of Inheritance
· Nature versus Nurture
· Facial Growth
· Tooth Size and Agnesis
· Dental Eruption Problems
· Environmental and Genetic Influences on Bilateral Symmetry
· Genetic Factors and External Apical Root Resorption
· Personalized-Precision Orthodontics
· 3. The Biologic Basis of Orthodontics
· Tissue Reactions in Orthodontics
· Tooth-Supporting Tissues
· Physiologic Tooth Migration
· Orthodontic Tooth Movements
· Tissue Response in Periodontium
· Tissue Response in Sutures
· Tissue Response in the Temporomandibular Joint
· Posttreatment Stability
· Tooth Movement at the Cellular and Molecular Levels